Friday 12 March 2010

Evaluation - (4) Who would be the audience for your media product? (5) How did you attract/address your audience?


The demographic for my magazine was always going to be young male and females (prodimantely male) around the age of 18-26, who enjoy themselves in an alternative style. When it came to physchographics I imagined they would consist of succeeders, radicals, underachievers, materialists and C1 down to E on the old jicnar scale.

In order to attract my target audience I needed to grab their attention with the front cover, of course it had to be specific to their tastes otherwise they would ignore it. To do this I used an entirley minimilistic layout with only what was neccessary to tell the audience - they needed to understand it was a serious magazine, yet enjoyable at the same time. So I used only two coverlines; "The sound of a decade: An investigation into modern music" this showed the audience the magazine's main intention and given the formality of the title they now know it shall be a serious look into music (as continued in the double page spread), but then you get; "Emily Heseltine: 'I tried my hand at music and failed miserably'" the audience can now see the media product also has a sense of humour and will not be all deadly straight faced (we also see this within the Contents). The picture of my cover star was also simplistic and not sexualised, instead it was taken in an artistic fashion - so the audience can see the attention to detail, they know it's not going to be full of paparazzi snaps and glamourous photoshoots (the fact the magazine is free also reinforces this idea of up young artists who don't care about money, just their trade).

To see if my magazine suited my intended audience I posted it onto facebook and wrote the following:

Media C/W: the front page for my magazine.

The target audience is that of an alternative nature who take music seriously but enjoy it at the same time.

If you could please answer the questions I'd be most grateful :)

1. Your initial thoughts and reactions.
2. What kind of audience would this appeal to?
3. Do you think it would suit the intended target audience?
4. Feedback; how could it be improved?

Here are some quotes of my feedback:

"Yes, it seems serious, like its just able to be, and not care about what the mainstream is doing. Something like that."

"Yes, I think it does. It wouldn't appeal to all but I think that's good as you've really narrowed down your market."

"The slightly bizarre intellectual breed who enjoys moving the furniture around in the middle of the night.The type that enjoys to pick up free music magazines knowing full well they will disagree with every review."

From the feedback I have recieve I believe my audience took the preferred reading of the text, because of this I believe my product has been a marvellous success. I believe this must have something to do with my mode of adress, the formality (e.g. "The sound of a decade: An investigation into modern music") and also informality (the use of quotes in the contents page, but this could also be seen as formal so there is a potential oppositinal reading here). There was only one example of aberrant reading; "maybe if there was more subtitles about music it'd be a bit clearer" but the majority understood the text and saw the true target audience. The main positive feedback I recieved was of the minimilistic layout and photograph; " The minimalistic layout and the photograph are intruiging. The use of only two main articles makes you want to read through and understand more about the magazine."

No comments:

Post a Comment